Basing & Chaos Marine Colour Scheme Test

Continuing on from my previous post about the bases for my Daemons i’ve added an extra layer of green stuff to the bases so the magnet the Daemonette model is attached to sits inside more. I’m quite happy with the result so far and I think the next step will be to try it on one of the metal Daemonettes to see if the weight makes any difference. There is a lot of pull between the magnets but the plastic model seems very secure so it shouldn’t be an issue.

Exciting photos of bases with sand on them:

Sanded magnetic bases

Magnetic Daemonette on base

I’ve also been trying out a colour scheme on some Chaos Space Marines. They were my 2nd army I collected in 40k and so I have a lot of models hanging around of various ages. Most of the army is Tzeentch but that doesn’t fit in very well with the other chaos forces being Slaanesh. Seeing as none of it is finished anyway and those that are are from 10-15 years ago I don’t mind re-purposing them.

This is the test model I painted for my Daemons when I first started them and i’m still happy with the colour scheme.

Test Daemonette

I also quite fancied some Chaos Warriors with white armour so with the allies rules in 40k and these rules being likely to be introduced to the next edition Warhammer it makes sense to use the Daemons as the core with Chaos Space Marine or Chaos Warrior allies depending on the game. With careful planning I might be able to use some of the same character models between both too which would be a good excuse for some custom models.

Slaanesh CSM test

Slaanesh CSM term test

The purple looks a little more grey on the pics so with the white armour and no detail they look a little bland but i’m quite happy with the result on the actual models. Next step will be to come up with a colour scheme I like for the weapons and then see what I can cobble together to make a full unit. In the hurry to get stuff assembled I always regret not coming up with some kind of really distinctive basing so I should probably have a think about that as well. Fortunately I need to buy some more magnets before I can go any further.


Basing for both Warhammer and 40k (and getting the most out of my models)

Depending on how you look at it, one of the great things about Daemons is that they’reĀ usableĀ in both Warhammer and 40k. The issue with this is base shapes. While you need square bases for Warhammer to rank models up in 40k it just doesn’t look quite right. I had looked into just basing my Daemons on round bases and then using movement trays but that creates some issues when it comes to changing formations.

I have messed about a bit with magnets when it comes to movement trays for my High Elves and I’ve used some smaller ones for swapping weapons on my Dark Eldar so though I might as well try out a few ways of allowing me to swap bases.

So here is a plastic Daemonette glued to a 10mm diameter magnet then filled in a bit with green stuff before sand is added.


One of each type of base with the magnet glued to it then surrounded by green stuff. The next stage on these will be to raise the green stuff up around the magnet the model is attached to so it fits inside and is less noticable.


And here is the current base with the Daemonette standing on top.

Daemonette on Base

The issue with using a large magnet is that i’m relying on the glue to hold them together. This isn’t such an issue with the plastic models but with larger metal ones I feel they might end up breaking off often so I might have to try a different method for them such as more smaller magnets in combination with pins.